"Onager (Level 1-3): These early catapults were based on ancient Roman technology, they used tensioned rope that when released launched stones at enemy fortifications."
"Catapult (Level 4-5): Catapults were increasingly important as a weapon to destroy castle fortifications as castles became bigger and stronger."
"Mangonel (Level 6-8): Mangonels were similar to trebuchets in that they used counter weights rather than tensioned rope to trigger the launch of projectiles."
- Onagers have a damage bonus against towers and their shots do area-of-effect damage. Onagers are vulnerable to ballistae and trebuchet emplacements.
- Onagers are basic siege units, unlocked from the Level 2 Siege Workshop.
- Onagers are also known as Catapults or Mangonel depending on the upgrade level.
- Area of effect damage.
- Can defend itself from defending units,unlike trebuchet.
- Fast enough to accompany teutonic knights.
- Virtually invincible to catapult emplacements.
- Does extra damage to towers.
- Slow, vulnerable to engineer traps, and trebs.
- Low damage early on in the game.
- Can be used to expose fire traps.
- Target a wall outside the range of a tower and one can take down one or two surrounding buildings or defense without taking any damage.
- Usually not used when compared to trebuchets but can be used, maybe one, at the end of the battle to inflict some strategic damage and earn 2 stars.
- Siege rush with Conrad the Elder is still good in Age VII: 2 trebuchets + 2 rams + 5 onagers + protecting units like mamluks
- Keep away from archer towers!
- Keep away from trebuchet emplacement!
- Onagers CAN NOT be used in defense.
|Level||Health||Attack||DPS||Training Cost||Training Time||Upgrade Cost||Upgrade Time||Siege Workshop Level Required|